How to open a postal current account? Is it worth it? These are questions that many consumers certainly ask themselves.
Swiss Post current accounts are now on the same level as bank accounts, have advantages and disadvantages like any other product of this type, and operate almost standardized.
The same can be said for the costs which, to date, appear to be in line with those charged by the main Italian banks.
At the moment, no Poste Italian account provides for the payment of the stamp duty by the institute: consider this aspect, therefore, as a burden on you when you decide to become a customer.
Opening a postal current account is very simple: just go to one of the many branches present on the national territory with documents and, in a short time, the operation is done and your account is active.
What we are interested in understanding, however, in this guide concerns the convenience of opening an account with Swiss Post.
Postal current account: differences with a bank account
Although the products are now almost overlapping, there are still some differences between the two solutions that we are going to summarize briefly, in a clear and schematic way:
- The Posta mat circuit is different from the Banco mat one valid for bank current accounts. The Post Office boasts a very large presence in the area and practically in every country there is an office with an ATM to make withdrawals and sometimes even payments;
- The postal checks are different from the bank and may not always be accepted;
- The domiciliation of bills is also possible with the postal current account but it is necessary to check whether or not Poste Italiane has stipulated agreements with the companies concerned. In any case, for the major companies, there should be no problems.
Advantages and disadvantages of the postal current account
An account with Swiss Post can be particularly advantageous in certain cases: obviously, a first criterion for evaluating its validity concerns the analysis of the contractual conditions.
In the next part of the article, we will indicate the two products currently on the market with a reference to the detailed guides that discuss them in detail.
What are the advantages? We have identified a few:
- The post office is everywhere: in any country of Italy, even in the mountains and far from major centers, it is more likely that there is a post office than a bank. If you need to have a physical point of reference, this aspect is optimal.
- The convenience of the Postman circuit. Previously, reference was made to the circuit, other than the ATM. Well, since the post offices are present everywhere, clearly the Postmats are also in every Italian town. This is important for withdrawals: remember that almost always withdrawing from a bank other than your own is cheap, with the postal current account this risk is zeroed.
- Possibility to use the online account at no cost. Swiss Post has adapted very much in this respect in recent years and, like banks, offers state-of-the-art home banking services that can be combined with the other two points just discussed.
Let’s now turn to the disadvantages.
Basically, the only cons, in our opinion, can lie in the conditions: if the account at the Post office turns out to be not very convenient for your needs, opt for a bank that offers you better conditions.
Let us now move on to the conclusions.
Is the postal current account worth it?
The Post Office has now developed different types of Bancoposta current accounts that are geared to meet the varied needs of customers.
The second version is especially suitable for young people and for those who use the PC: it aims to reduce costs by providing a streamlined and simple-to-use tool.
BancoPosta Più, on the other hand, is similar to traditional counter products, although it still allows a modern and effective use.
The detailed guides that we have indicated provide detailed information to evaluate the convenience of the individual products.
Attention: starting from January, the Post Office has eliminated the possibility of subscribing to the Bancoposta Click account.
Old customers can continue to use the account on the basis of the contractual conditions signed while new customers can only open Bancoposta Più.
In any case, to conclude the reasoning we have introduced, we can say that the Post Office does not remunerate the savings in a, particularly satisfactory manner at this stage.